Nursing
Question: As Hahnemann recommends to apply the remedies to the mother or
wet nurse in nursing infants I wonder how to proceed if both, mother and
child, need a different remedy. P.S.Ortega has written an interesting
point on this: 'So to speak the child is the continuation of the mother
with other medicines during the lactation period. The requirements of the
child let us know more about the requirements of the mother. The symptoms
of the child are quasi the symptoms of the mother expressed in the child
which is 'one's own flesh and blood'... Often it is not necessary to ask
the mother for her ailments but it does suffice to take the history of the
child, as it has been versed before the child were born. The
constitutional symptoms of the mother agree with those of the child,
therefore the remedy acts in mother and child likewise.' That would mean
that during lactation the child also need the mothers remedy, just as
during pregnancy, and that only after weaning a possible different symptom
picture would come to the fore. Are mother and child a unit during the
time of NURSING as they are during pregnancy where only one
remedy is indicated ? Also, whose remedy is indicated during pregnancy,
those whose disease is stronger, provided they are dissimilar ? Or is it
generally the mother whose symptoms (and miasm) get's most evident during
pregnancy ? I would appreciate to hear your opinion. Thanks a lot, Katja
answer: Excellent question dear Katja I agree with Ortega except I see it
somewhat different The bonding between child and mom during pregnancy and
delivery and even nursing is obviously as strong as it can be. That's why
I termed the intra uiterine questions, one of them pertaining also to the
delivery process and the nursing (when mom is in Ignatia state and nurses
she wi give "grief" to the baby and expressed in colics)...in other words
I want to know mom's story and her remedy wil indeed the baby's remedy for
this immediate period of time (and of course sometimes longer if no other
things happen to mom). When we talk about environmental factors changing
the genetic make up (turning off and on the genes) of the child intra
utero (the way it is viewed now in conventional medicine) as usual they
forget emotional factors and speak mainly about viruses, chemicals,
poisons etc. But there is of course also the emotional environment!! I
will address this in my upocominmg book about autism
Warmest regards
dR luc
